Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mr. Bluebird

I cleaned out my Bluebird boxes today in anticipation of spring nesting.  It is important to do so since Bluebirds, unlike my friends the Phoebes, will not use the same nest as last year. 
Eastern Bluebird
I built two boxes a couple of years ago, but only hung out one the first year.  I didn't finish them until May and by then it was too late in the season for Bluebirds since they start nest building as early as February.  I did, however, get some tenants that first year.
A pair of Carolina Wrens made a pretty little nest of small twigs and raised a brood of three.
Carolina Wren
 Last year I finally got a Bluebird pair to use the box.  They only had one brood and not until late summer, but they made a beautiful nest with soft moss on the bottom and pine needles on top.  I saw a group of five bluebirds early this winter sitting in the trees near the barn.  I thought they were just looking to see what houses were on the market for the spring, but it was probably my Bluebird family.  Apparently, if a pair hatches a brood late in the season they will stay together as a loose knit family unit through the following spring.

If you are interested in attracting Bluebirds to your property there are a mired of nest box plans on the internet.   I used this one  because it involved cutting up just one 1X6.  There are many "rules" about where to mount the boxes so be sure to read up before you start hanging them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment