Thursday, March 10, 2011

My new pal, Owen


Meet my new pal, Owen.  He is the newest edition to the family, the barn cat.  I adopted Owen from the MSPCA which has a "Barn Cat"  program that helps save the lives of cats who may not have other options.  These are cats that have been deemed "unadoptable" for various reasons.  Some are feral, some have litter box issues and others just don't adapt well to life indoors.   Owen, here, was said to be too frisky when left indoors, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. 


 So far Owen has been the perfect gentleman.  He comes to greet me at the door, loves to be petted and will even sit on my lap and purr.  Hes not just a pretty face though, he does have a job, unlike the three lazy cats house cats.


Owen's job is to keep the area rodent free.  This winter has been chock full of mouse activity in the barn.  They have chewed through anything and everything!  Toby's lightweight blanket has a two inch wide hole in it,  one of my riding gloves is missing a finger, two of my lead ropes have had the snaps chewed clean off, and they have left little "presents" everywhere.  It was high time to do something about the infestation.   That is why Owen has joined the family.

The MSPCA is a wonderful organization that really tries to match the animals in their care with the best possible home.  I am a repeat customer.  Toby and two of my house cats have been adopted from Nevins Farm.  If you have a barn and could use a little help with your rodent population, please check out the MSPCA's "Barn Cat" program.  Barn cats cost nothing to adopt and you can help a cat the otherwise would not have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment