Thursday, May 5, 2011

How to Build a Tack Trunk, Part One

My niece is 12 years old and has the horse bug just as bad as I do.  One of her first words, actually, I should say one of her first signs, was horse.  You see she was born profoundly deaf and could only communicate through sign language for the first few years of her life.  My brother, seeing that there was not a lot of early intervention programs for children with hearing loss in our area, started The Decibels Foundation to raise money to help pay for such programs.   This year they are holding their second annual horse show and I decided to make a tack box to donate to the silent auction.

This is how I went about it:

I used some 3/4 inch birch veneer plywood, cut out front, back and side panels for the basic box and routered the edges.
Using some small brads nails and wood glue I put together the basic box shape.
I added some trim to the inside so I would have something to nail the floor to.  Then I cut and attached the floor.
 I attached some 1 by 3 for the base trim and...
 ...a 1 by 2 for the top trim.
Added some corner trim to the sides.  Then countersunk any nails, filled the holes with wood putty, and sanded for a neater look.
I attached some thin pieces of wood to the inside corners as guides for the small storage box and brush box I will be making in part two.


Then using more 1 by 2  and some 1/2 inch birch veneer plywood I built the lid.
I stained the whole thing and attached the lid with a piano hinge.
Added a latch and some handles and the basic trunk was finished!

Stay tuned for part two...


4 comments:

  1. Hi, your part one is really very nice about Tack Trunk.I also saw your part two and performed very well ,you are really very hardworking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,, I found your Part 1 and Part 2 of tack trunk very helpful. I've been searching the internet for days now trying to find a HOW TO for a trunk. A friend of ours wants me to build her a SHOW BOX (AND the closest thing I can find is a tack trunk/box/chest) They show goats at our local 4-H fair each year. This looks JUST like what I've been looking for.
    THANK you so much for your hard work and willingness to share your procedure along with pics. :)
    God bless,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about how big is the trunk, like height and width measurements

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was Given my old horse tack trunk and it needs repurposed. This gave me inspiration and information I needed to start the project. the bottom needs replaced and hinges fixed.

    ReplyDelete