Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How to Build a Tack Trunk, Part Two

Yeah!  I finally finished it!  Here is what I did:

I started by attaching a chain to either side of the lid to keep it from flopping back when opened.






Then I started a small storage box.  I cut the pieces to size and routered them.

I glued and nailed the box together,  countersunk the nails and filled the holes.

Then stained it.











Next I worked on the brush box.  Again, I cut the pieces to size...


routered...

and glued and nailed.


I used a 5/8" dowel for the handle.  After drilling a hole at either end of the box and inserting the dowel, I countersunk a nail through the top on both sides to keep the dowel from moving. Then stained the whole box.

I added some cleats on the inside of the trunk so the boxes would have a place to rest and...











Voila!  The finished product!

5 comments:

  1. Hi very nice you have done very well work .I really liked very much this Tack Trunk.keep it up and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is JUST what i was looking for i finally have a horse and i wanted to figure out how to build a tack truck and this is the PERFECT thing to help me to do that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that this is a very old post but it came up when I was searching how to make a brush box. My tack box is an odd size so I can't find a brush box to fit it and resigned that I may have to make my own. My only question is how to make the holes for the dowel rod to sit in for the handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use a "hole saw". This is an item that attaches to your drill to drill a large hole (measure your dowel diameter) to accommodate your dowel. Hole saws come in many sizes.

      Delete